Vegan Lemon Cranberry Cake
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
It’s not even December, and I’m ecstatic to share some of my favorite holiday concepts from last year! While I’m not a chocolate person, and more of a fruit person, I’ve never been a “cranberry” person.
Especially, fresh cranberries.
Perhaps it stems from the cranberry jelly in a can that was big in the 90’s that still haunts me, but whatever the case may be.. I never use fresh cranberries until I stumbled upon this concept. Looking back, I’m so glad I did, because this recipe is one to keep around!
What I love about holiday dessert recipes as that they are somewhat outside the box, meaning that the go to’s and coveted family recipes stray from the norm. From jello salads from the 80’s to random cookie combos, I find it’s a chance to of course get in the kitchen, but really get creative!
While this recipe is approachable, for myself I never thought of it as something I would enjoy, but I was completely wrong!
What I love about this bread, is everything. It’s easy, has a handful of ingredients, the texture is light and fluffy, the appearance gorgeous, light on the sugar in the batter, the cranberries add a hint of tart, the notes of lemon, and the cream cheese icing just ties everything all in together. If you want to reduce the sugar content even more, you can skip the icing!
If you’re looking for that effortless holiday vegan dessert that just screams Christmas..You have to try my vegan Lemon Cranberry Cake!
Why this recipe rocks:
Non vegan approved
Perf for the holidays
Yields 8 slices
15 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 3/4 cup Earth Balance vegan butter
- ¾ cup white sugar (you can use alternatives, but may shift the color)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 Tablespoons Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg (combined with 1/4 cup almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup almond milk mixed w/a squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2½ cups fresh cranberries
- 2½ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan Follow Your Heart cream cheese
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, cream vegan butter, sugar and lemon zest together for 3 minutes. Add vegan eggs and vanilla, combine. Add lemon juice and mix again.
- In a separate bowl, mix and combine dry ingredients together. Combine almond milk w/lemon and add to the dry ingredients, throw in the egg mixture and combine without over mixing as it will lose height. Fold in the fresh cranberries. Grease and a bread pan. Pour batter in pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes.
- While the loaf cools make the icing. Combine the ingredients in a small bowl and add additional powdered sugar to achieve the desired consistency. Top the bread with it once loaf is room temperature. top with additional lemon zest if desired. Let set, and serve.
If you don't have the vegan egg you may be able to use mashed banana as a substitute, however, it may take on a light banana flavor.