Vegan Key Lime Pie Cake
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
Truth, I love all dessert concepts that are lemon or lime based! Thus, I love key lime pie!
However, the idea of creating a vegan key lime pie that’s just as good as the classic version makes me nervous. Also, I’m on a huge cake kick and decided it would be more fun to create something that strays from the everyday key lime pie concept..
and the vegan Key Lime Pie Cake was born!
What I love about this cake is the moisture content, the rich lime flavor, the light cream cheese icing, the addition of the graham cracker crumbs, the overall presentation and just.. everything!
If you love all things lime like I do, then you’ll love my vegan Key Lime Pie Cake with cream cheese icing!
Want to see just how easy this recipe is?!
Watch the video clip above!
Why this recipe rocks:
Light on the added sugar (1 cup)
Tons of lime flavor
Light and fluffy cream cheese icing
Perf for spring and summer (or if you’re me anytime)
Non vegan approved
Yields 8-10 slices
25 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups vegan butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp Follow Your Heart vegan egg powder (combined with 1/2 cup almond milk or lime juice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk and 1/2 cup lime juice (combined)
- 2 tbsp natural green food coloring
- 1/2 cup vegan graham cracker dust
- Sliced limes and lime zest for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups salted butter
- 4oz of vegan Follow Your Heart cream cheese
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 squeeze of lime
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, Line 2 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper in the bottom and grease the sides. Beat the vegan butter and sugar in a large bowl on medium speed about 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the vegan egg with lime juice/almond milk, green food coloring, and vanilla and beat on medium speed for about 1 minute. The texture of the batter will change and become thicker and may seem a little curdled.
- Combine the flour, sea salt, baking soda and baking powder in a medium sized bowl. Add about one-third of the flour mixture to the batter and beat on medium speed until incorporated. Add about half of the milk/lime juice combo and beat on medium speed until incorporated.
- Continue alternating adding dry and wet ingredients, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed, and beating until incorporated after each addition. There should be three total additions of dry ingredients and two total additions of milk. End with the dry ingredients. The batter will be thick and glossy.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans and spread evenly. Bake for 30-33 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean. Don’t be alarmed if the tops are a little browned, that is normal. Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool for 3-5 minutes. Remove cakes from pans to cooling racks and cool completely before frosting.
- To make icing, beat the butter until light and fluffy, 3-5 mins. Add the cream cheese, beat until smooth. Gradually add 5 cups of powdered sugar while mixing on low speed. Add vanilla extract and lime juice and mix until smooth. (Add more lime juice or almond milk until desired consistency is reached)
- To assemble cake, place pieces of wax paper strips on a cake stand. Lay the first layer of cake downs. Add about 1 1/2 cups icing and spread into an even layer. Add second layer and top with remaining icing. Smooth over the top and then smooth out the sides. Top with lime slices and crushed vegan graham cracker dust. Once complete remove the wax paper and enjoy!
You can use key limes or regular limes Add some tequila and remove the graham cracker crumbs to create a more adult version!