Vegan Margarita Cupcakes
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
All I can say is, I can’t believe I waited so long to make these vegan Margarita Cupcakes!
while I had seen the non vegan version online back years ago, I never saw them in bakeries, and I just felt that I had to explore this concept with Cinco de Mayo around the corner!
Truth, I never really celebrate the holiday, nor drink liquor (I stick to red wine), but I love anything lime, guacamole, and anything with jalapeños..
Needless to say, I love Cinco de Mayo inspired eats!!
What I love most about this recipe for Margarita Cupcakes is that they have minimal ingredients, are packed with lime, coconut sugar, coconut milk, and were just a blast to make!
If you love a cupcake that’s light, aesthetically pleasing, packs a wee bit of tequila..
You need to try this recipe for vegan Margarita Cupcakes!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made with or without alcohol
Lime icing is amazing!
Make with coconut sugar!
Great for Super Bowl, Cinco de Mayo or the 4th of July
Yields 8-12 cupcakes
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1?2cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoons lime zest, freshly grated
- 1 cup coconut milk (or almond milk)
- 1?4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3?4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1?3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1?4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1?2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1?2 teaspoon salt
- 1?2 cup earth balance butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- 1 tsp of Spirulina, matcha, or pureed spinach (I used matcha, doesn't effect flavor)
- 2 -2 1?2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 pinch kosher salt or 1 pinch coarse salt
- Toppings: lime zest, lime triangles, and straws!
- Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 F and line muffin pan with cupcake liners or use silicon cups.
- Beat together lime juice, zest, coconut milk, coconut oil, tequila, vanilla and sugar.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the wet ingredients to dry and mix until smooth.
- Fill liners about 3/4 fill. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.Transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack to fully cool, before frosting.
- Icing: Blend butter until soft and fluffy in a standing mixer with the whisk attachment; stir in coconut milk, lime juice, tequila and (Spirulina, or Matcha, or puree spinach). Sift in 2 cups confectioners sugar and blend until smooth and creamy. Add additional confectioner sugar if the icing appears too liquidy. Refrigerate until ready to use. Spread icing on the cupckaes spreading all the way to the edges.
- Top with lime triangles, lime zest, and straws cut in half!