Vegan Matcha Creme Brûlée
Hello & Happy Monday!!
I don’t know about you, but one dessert concept I was always completely enamored with, was creme brûlée! I found that the diversity in texture and just everything was my cup of tea.
However, the traditional creme brûlée custard is comprised of eggs, making it somewhat of an obstacle to replicate in a vegan version. Out of the myriad of vegan restaurants I experienced there was never a vegan creme brûlée. As a result I gave it a go to try this recipe a few years ago and fell in love with this dessert again!
Fast forward to today, I wanted to create a more summer time inspired creme brûlée as well as try a different approach with less steps and ingredients..
and the vegan Matcha Creme Brûlée was born!
What I love about this dish is, everything! It’s effortless, has minimal ingredients, can be thrown together and set aside while you prep other things, has multiple textures, a rich matcha flavor, and coconut whip that ties everything in together.
If you’re looking to rekindle your love for creme brulee you have to try my recipe for vegan Matcha Creme Brûlée!
This recipe was made using Tenzo Tea products.
In the summer of 2016, Robbie Page and Steve O’Dell joined forces to make the world a healthier place. Coming from athletic backgrounds, both men were looking for an all-natural energy source. Instead of chugging redbull or pre workout, the men wanted something that could be consumed without the negative effects common to everyday stimulants. After scouring the globe for healthy food and drink products, Robbie and Steve settled on a plant, the Camellia Sinensis, more commonly known as the, “Green Tea Plant”.
Steve and Robbie found that if processed correctly, you could amplify the health benefits and energy resulting in a fine and vibrant emerald green powder loaded with health benefits. With more than 124 times the antioxidants per gram of kale and spinach, Robbie and Steve met their matcha and the rest history.
Purchase the Matcha Tea Kit here
Why this recipe rocks:
Fun to make
Non vegan approved
Made in minutes
Will make you look like a vegan iron chef!
Want to see just how easy this recipe is?!
Watch this clip above!!
Yields 1 large portion or 6 smaller portions
10 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (or brown or white sugar)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp agar agar flakes
- 1 1/2 tbs Tenzo Tea matcha powder
- 6 tbsp white sugar
- 1 can full fat coconut (chilled in the fridge overnight)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add all of the Matcha creme ingredients to a saucepan over high heat. Bring the coconut milk almost to the boil, stirring continuously as you do so to prevent burning and to mix all the ingredients evenly. The agar agar flakes should soon start to dissolve.
- Before the contents boil, remove the saucepan from heat. Stir a few more times to ensure all the ingredients are evenly blended, then set aside to cool.
- Pour the cream into 6 individual ramekins or one large dish and place in the fridge to set for about 3 hours or more. If allowed to set for longer, simply drain the excess fluid that will form.
- To prep to serve, top the pudding with white sugar, then caramelize using a kitchen blowtorch. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Top with coconut whip and Serve immediately.
- To make the coconut whip, throw everything in a standing mixer an set aside to chill in the fridge until ready to serve.