Vegan Pistachio Bread
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!!
I made this recipe while still getting acquainted with cooking full time and finishing grad school. This was honestly one of those recipes I made on a whip while not even working in my own kitchen, out of town, and leaving town within 45mins. It was on my bucket list, and the recipe just came to me and poof..
It became one of my favorite recipes still to this day!
When I thought about producing this concept all the recipes I could find involved premade bake mix, which basically takes away from the process aka, not baking, and pre-made options are not vegan. So I took the reigns and created an option that mirrors classic pistachio cake, but more of a bread style with less sugar, more flavor, infused with rose water, and packed with spinach!
If you’re looking for a recipe that’s on point with everything from appearance to flavor, you have to try this recipe for vegan Pistachio Bread!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Smells like heaven
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 6-8 slices
25 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted pistachios, shelled (soak to remove salt if salted if needed, roasted preferred)
- 1 cup spinach leaves (chopped)
- 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup Better Body Foods coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk mixed with 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp rose water
- 1/2 cup crushed pistachios
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and then grease a loaf tin with coconut oil. Throw pistachios in the oven for 5-7 minutes, rotate in between.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium-size bowl and sift together. Place apple cider vinegar in almond milk and whisk til curdled. Using a food processor or blend, grind the pistachios into a powder. Add the coconut oil, almond and vanilla extract, rose water, and blend for ten seconds. Then add the spinach, coconut sugar, and almond milk to the processor and blend until smooth.
- Combine the almond milk with apple cider vinegar, whisk until curdled, then add to the dry ingredients with the spinach mixture.
- Gently fold them together. Only mix until just combined, being careful not to over stir. Spread evenly into the pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan after a few minutes and let cool on a wire rack.
- Topping: Combine powdered sugar with almond extract, blend until thick. Add almond milk to acheive desired consistency. Once the cake is completely cooled. Coat with icing and top with crushed pistachios while still wet. Let set at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!
if your pistachios are already roasted and salted, simply rinse them and top after icing! You can also bake them again like I did in the tutorial video, the color will just be darker for the nuts!