Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake Bread
Hello & Happy Saturday!!
While I don’t typically showcase recipes on the weekends, I had a busy filled week and wasn’t able to share my usual 5 recipes!!
I know what you’re thinking, a pumpkin focused recipe in late June? Believe it or not, in the Northeast we were recently getting temperatures in the low 40’s! When cold temps hit me, I instantly start craving lots of cold weather inspired eats!
Cue this vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake bread!
(Truth, I personally crave all things pumpkin all the time. Its not a “weather thing”, its just a “me” thing lol)
This recipe was inspired by my organic affinity for all things pumpkin, cold temperatures, and simply wanting to indulge in something that was pumpkin based, but enriched with cream cheese as they blend so seamlessly together!
The biggest challenge you’ll find with pumpkin bread recipes is that pumpkin puree adds a high moisture content. So it can be an obstacle to get the right moisture balance with your bread. To make a dryer version you can skip the vegan eggs and sour cream! I’m going to make a second version so that you can see the comparison side by side, stay tuned!
If like me you crave pumpkin 365 days a year, love an aesthetically pleasing bread, then you need to try my recipes for vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake Bread!
Why this recipe rocks:
Low sugar (if you remove the icing)
Great all year round!
Can make an adult version by adding bourbon!
Yields 6 to 8 slices
60 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
1 hr, 35 Total Time
- 1 Follow Your Heart vegan egg (or one flax egg) (for a less moist bread, remove this ingredient)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup Better Body Foods coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup liquid-state coconut oil (vegetable may be substituted)
- 1/3 cup cup vegan Follow Your Heart sour cream (for a less moist bread, remove this ingredient)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt, optional and to tast
- 1 vegan Follow Your Heart egg (optional)
- 1 container softened vegan Follow Your Heart Cream Cheese
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- Optional: top with toasted walnuts
- Batter: Preheat oven to 350F. Spray one 9x5-inch loaf pan with coconut oil or grease. In a large bowl, add the the first ten ingredients, through ground nutmeg, and whisk to combine. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, optional salt, and fold with spatula or spoon until just combined; don't overmix; set aside. Turn about two-thirds of the batter out into the prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula and pushing it into corners and sides as necessary; set aside.
- Cream Cheese Filling: In a large bowl, add all ingredients and whisk to combine. Evenly spread the filling mixture over the bread, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula and pushing it into corners and sides as necessary.Top filling with remaining pumpkin batter, smoothing the top very lightly with a spatula as to not disturb cream cheese layer and pushing batter into corners and sides. Bake for about 48 minutes or until the top is domed, golden, and the center is set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter.
- If the top appears to be done yet its not fully cooked on the inside, tent the pan with a sheet of foil draped over it at the 35 minute-mark. Baking times may vary based on moisture content of pumpkin, cream cheese, climate, and oven variances. Bake until done; watch your bread, not the clock. Allow bread to cool in pan for about 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely. Combine the icing ingredients and top with toasted walnuts. Bread will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.