Vegan Pumpkin French Toast Bake
Hello & Happy Sunday!!!
In all honesty, if I had to say it, I’m a french toast girl all the way rather than a pancake gal. There is something about the components that I just find more flavorful, memorable, and it’s just my cup of tea! For years you couldn’t really make a good vegan french toast. Once the vegan eggs came about and the quality was there, they can easily replace the typical egg in french toast and provide the same flavor and texture!
Since I have to put a modern spin on everything, I became obsessed with french toast bakes in my early days of cooking.
If you’re not familiar with a french toast bake, its absolutely seamless! Rather than cooking each piece one at a time you simply soak, let chill overnight and pop in the oven! It’s easier for serving, puts the bites in smaller sizes so no need to cut, and are hands down one of my favorite concepts!
One of the first french toast bakes I ever did, was this classic vegan Pumpkin Pecan French Toast Casserole!! It was so good that Follow Your Heart decided to feature in the their new Follow Your Heart Cookbook!
What’s fab about this dish, is everything! It’s effortless, affordable, has minimal ingredients, a rich pumpkin flavor, packs multiple textures, doesn’t need to be drowned in syrup, perf for fall, perf for entertaining, and tastes better than any french toast I’ve ever experienced vegan or non. (promise)
If you’re looking to bring it this fall with your brunch skills you need my staple vegan Pumpkin Pecan French Toast Casserole!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made in bulk
Great for kids & non vegans
Better than “real” french toast
Great for entertaining
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 6-8 servings
25 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1/2 can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 4 tbsp Follow Your Heart egg
- 4 cups almond milk
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large loaf of sourdough bread
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl add the FYH eggs with almond milk, whisk, combine and remove any clumps. set aside. in the same bowl add the remaining ingredients: pumpkin puree, coconut sugar, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Lightly coat a 9x13 baking dish with oil. Slice and cube the bread, and place a layer of bread cubes evenly into the baking dish. Pour the mixture evenly over the top. Make sure 95% is covered in the mixture with a few not. Store covered overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 10-15 minutes in the oven. While baking assemble the crumble topping by combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Once baked for 10-15 minutes, remove, and spread the crumb topping atop the casserole along with and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. Serve with coconut whip and syrup if desired.