Vegan Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #LoveAmericanHome #CollectiveBias #cbias
Hello & Happy Monday!!
I don’t know about you, but I start craving fall eats as soon as September hits! I personally prefer recipes with a fall twist of cinnamon, apples, or pumpkin whether it be the traditional desserts or savory dishes. Needless to say, fall is is my favorite season!
While my affinity for all things pumpkin is already apparent (see below)
… I had yet to explore vegan Pumpkin Whoopie Pies!
What I love about these whoopie pies are first and foremost the aesthetic appeal, lightness of the cookies, the maple cream cheese icing, and the slight hint of maple!
If you’re looking for a classic whoopie pie concept that doesn’t get old with the shifting of the seasons, ..you have to try my recipe for vegan Pumpkin Whoopie pies with Maple Icing!
My second favorite tradition?!
Lighting pumpkin fragrance American Home™ by Yankee Candle® Brand candles! I actually never crave candles unless its fall/winter and they are pumpkin inspired!
What’s even more great about these candles?! In addition to coming in an array of rich fragrances and being clean burning candles, they are now more affordable and accessible than ever
Purchase from Walmart here.
Candle safety tips:
- Always burn your candle on a heat resistant surface, keep it out of drafts and NEVER leave it unattended while lit.
- Please make sure the candle wicks are cut 1/8 of an inch to ensure the flame isn’t too large
- Each time you burn your candle, allow the entire top layer to become a fragrant pool of liquid wax and you’ll get the biggest, boldest fragrance possible.
- When only ½” of the wax remains, it’s time to let your candle go. (melt the remaining wax and pour into another container with a new wick and freeze)
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients
- Bake in the greased whoopie pie mold
- Combine the maple cream cheese icing and gently combine
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for every season
Great for entertaining
Non vegan approved
Eat Drink Shrink
25 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup packed Better Body Foods coconut sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Earth Balance vegan butter, melted
- 4 tbs follow your heart vegan egg mixed with 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3/4 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree (chilled)
- 1-2tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) earth balance vegan butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces Follow Your Heart vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon maple extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- For the Cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a whoopie pie pan with coconut oil. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted vegan butter, Follow Your Heart powdered egg w/almond milk, coconut sugar, and apple cider vinegar together until incorporated. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and clove. Whisk until all ingredients are well combined. Add to the wet. Whisk in the pumpkin puree. Divide the batter evenly among the pan molds. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from the oven, set aside on a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the filling. In the bowl of your stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat together the cream cheese, vegan butter. Mix these together until smooth and lump free. They will still be pretty thick. Add in the vanilla and maple extracts. Mix quickly until combined. Then, sift into the bowl using a sieve, the powdered sugar.and cinnamon. Gently mix together the sugar and the butter-cream cheese mixture. Don't over mix as the consistency will become runny.Stop when the frosting looks as thick as store bought frostings.
- Spread the frosting in heaping tablespoons onto the center of a cookie and top with another, similarly sized cookie. Press down slightly using a turning motion so that the frosting filling spreads out to the edges. Repeat until all the cookies are used. Place whoopie pies in the refrigerator for roughly 30 minutes to set before serving.
Whoopie pies can be enjoyed immediately, or wrapped individually in plastic wrap and stored in your refrigerator for 2-3 days.
*Make sure the pumpkin puree has been sitting in the fridge for at least 2 hours to get nice and cold. It helps the pies stay poufy and round when you bake them.