Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Bars
Hello & Happy Friday!!
One of my favorite combinations is strawberry and rhubarb! For whatever reason, I find rhubarb just a very intriguing vegetable and it adds a richness when combine with fruit! Needless to say, I do strawberry rhubarb everything!
If you’re from the South like me, you’ve seen strawberry rhubarb everything. Ironically, I never was exposed to the glory of this classic combo until perhaps 5 years ago. (a moment of silence for all of the years I could have been enjoying it lol) I promise, it’s a game changer!
How much do I love this dish?! Let me count the ways! It’s quick, easy, affordable, captures the essence of warm weather desserts, rich, you can modify the sugar, modify the flour, great for entertaining, can easily be made in bulk, can be made in a skillet and turned into a crisp, and is non vegan approved!
If you’re looking for that staple warm weather treat that involves a handful of ingredients, you have to try my vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Bars!
What’s great about these bars:
Sweet & tart
To go all out you can enjoy bars warm with some vegan ice cream
Yields 6-8 bars
15 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats*
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tbs corn starch or arrow root
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt, whisk for 1 minute. Add the oats and brown sugar, combine again. Combine the coconut oil and vanilla and pour over. Combine with hands until everything is coated. Press into the dish, reserve 1/2 cup to sprinkle on top.
- Preheat oven to 350. Combine rhubarb, strawberries, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Combine corn starch and sugar sprinkle over top and combine again. Layer onto the crust. Top with reserved crust.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares and serving. Serve with coconut whip.