Red Currant Muffins
Hello & Happy Monday!!
Let me just start off by saying that less than a month ago, I wasn’t even 100% sure what a “currant” actually was lol..
Today, I currently LOVE red currants…. (see what I did there)
Currants come in a variety of colors (red,black,white, and gooseberries ), but I decided to explore red currants!! Something about their appearance is reminscent of Christmas, but this particular fruit pairs well with any holiday and any season for that matter!
I’ve never been a muffin person as I find them to be more of a dessert rather than something you enjoy with coffee aka “breakfast” lol, but THESE muffins.. offer a light tart flavor and of course..
a gorgeous aPpearance!!
If you’re looking to impress your guests or simply want to spruce op your everyday muffin routine,
..Currants are the answer!!
What I love about this recipe:
– Softest muffins on the block
– almond like
– hint of tartness
– light but filling
– AMAZING WITH BUTTER (but what isn’t lol)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 flax eggs (mix 2-4 tbsp flax with 2-4tbsp almond milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- (1/2 cup) vegan butter butter, melted
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups red currants, (tossed in a few tbsp flour)
- Handful sliced almonds
- Create a flax egg by combining the flax and almond milk, stir with a fork, set aside for two minutes to thicken
- In a separate bowl combine the almond milk, vanilla extract, and almond extract, then pour them over the dry and mix just to combine. Add the flax egg.
- Add the melted butter and mix again. Then fold in the floured berries ( the more gentle you are the more intact they will be)
- Divide the batter between the 6 muffin cups and top each with sliced almonds and red currants. Bake them for about 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- You can use all purpose flour for the recipe, I prefer to break it up as it offers a more dense muffin.