Vegan Strawberry Basil Cupcakes
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
Since we all may be indulging a little more with Valentines Day coming this Saturday, I thought I would share a recipe I concocted months back.. when the weather was actually.. warm… (sad face)
“This is the perfect recipe that packs tons of flavor and nutrients.”
For those of you who shy away from intricate flavors.. BASIL?! STRAWBERRIES?! LIME?! ..
I’m telling you..
Fresh basil or mint can really compliment recipes that call for sweets.. (promise)
If you love fruit forward desserts like myself, then this recipe will be a no brainer..
Fun Facts About Strawberries
- Wild strawberries are known to have existed for more than 2,000 years.
- more than 600 varieties of strawberries that differ in flavor, size and texture,
- Since strawberries, once picked, do not ripen further, avoid those that are dull in color or have green or yellow patches since they are likely to be sour and of inferior quality. Full ripe berries will not only have the peak flavor and texture, but will have more nutrients.
- Strawberries are the only fruit with seeds on the outside.
- The average strawberry has 200 seeds.
Nutrition for 1 cup of strawberries
- - 1 3/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- - 1 teaspoon baking powder
- - 1 tbsp vinegar
- - 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- - 1/2 teaspoon salt
- - 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- - 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- - 1/3 cup canola oil or coconut oil
- - 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- - 1 cup diced fresh strawberries
- - 1 tbsp lime
- - 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan butter, cold
- - 1 Package of vegan cream cheese
- - 3 cups organic powdered sugar, sifted
- - 5-6 fresh strawberries, pureed (2-3 tablespoons strawberry puree)
- - 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- - 1 tbs lime zest
- - Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper cupcake liners. Sift together flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- - In large mixing bowl, stir together coconut milk, water and vinegar. Stir until milk is curdled. Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla. Slowly whisk in flour mixture. Beat for 1 minute.
- - Gently fold in diced strawberries and minced basil, and lime juice. Pour batter into prepared cupcake pan. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Place cupcakes on cooling rack and cool completely.
- - To make buttercream, start by placing strawberries in blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- - In mixing bowl of large standing mixer, beat together vegan butter and shortening for 1 minute. Add sifted powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons strawberry puree and vanilla. Beat for an additional 2 minutes. Add an additional 1-2 teaspoons of puree if needed. Beat until buttercream is light and fluffy.
- - Place in piping bag with large star tip and frost cooled cupcakes. Top with sliced strawberries. If frosting starts to soften, place cupcakes in refrigerator. Best served within 1-2 days. If not serving same day, store cupcakes in refrigerator.
- - Garnish with lime zest and a sprig of basil
- - If you don't want to use canola oil, you can opt for coconut oil
- - If you're not a basil fan, opt for mint 🙂