Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
If there is one fruit I crave when the warm weather hits..
I feel as though they are one of the first fruits to come significantly down in price, making them the perfect fruit to work with to create endless dessert concepts!
For those whom are not a “biscuit” dessert kind of person, I have to completely agree with you. I can’t recall the last time I enjoyed this dish, and that’s simply because I can distinctly recall the texture being so dry that it took away from the whole experience. Perhaps there was enough strawberries or something, but it was enough to alter my thoughts on Strawberry Shortcake lol.
Fast forward to today, although I don’t do a lot of bread or biscuits, I figured I would give this recipe a go and perhaps change my perception on this classic dessert.
What I love about this dish, is everything. The biscuit maintained a buttery soft texture, didn’t even need a vegan egg, the whipped cream with a hint of cream cheese pairs perfectly and ice cream isn’t even needed, and the strawberry mixture, which you can utilize any fruit, ties it all in together. Simple ingredients, takes minimal time, and allows you to look like an iron chef!
If you long for the days of this classic dessert
Look no further, because all you need is my vegan Strawberry Shortcake with coconut whip!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can easily be made in bulk
Non vegan approved
Biscuits are super soft!
Great for a summer gathering!
Want to see just how easy this recipe is?!
Watch this clip!!
Yields 6 servings
30 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, quartered (or more if you like)
- 13 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 squeeze lemon or lime
- 1 tsp lemon or lime zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Follow Your Heart vegan cream cheese
- 1 can coconut (chilled, solid portion only)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup almond milk combined with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (vegan buttermilk)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- coarse sparkling sugar
- Strawberries: Wash, stem, and cut strawberries in half. Add sugar, vanilla, citrus juice, zest; toss to mix well. Let marinate for 30 minutes. Chill strawberry mixture.
- Biscuits: Preheat oven to 350. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt & lemon or lime zest in a small bowl (or food processor). Add cold vegan butter and cut in with a fork or pulse a few times with a food processor (or cut in by hand using a pastry cutter) until you have coarse crumbs. Stir in the vegan "buttermilk". Drop dough onto the prepared pan. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and lemon or lime zest. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned. While the biscuits are baking, you can make the whipped cream.
- Coconut whip: Add all the coconut whip ingredients to the bowl of a standing mixer, beat until smooth. (I like to sift in the powder sugar). Set aside to chill.