Strawberry Rhubarb Cinnamon Rolls
Hello & Happy Monday!!
My two favorite things in regards to sweet breakfast concepts are french toast and cinnamon rolls!
While cinnamon rolls seem like a breeze when you have the instant varieties. To make them from scratch however, can be a little bit more involved.
What I love about cinnamon rolls is that you can choose whatever flavor profile you desire and run with it. I personally enjoy anything that is fruit forward and on the lighter side.
When it comes to cinnamon rolls that can be packed to the max with sugar, I find that these vegan Strawberry Rhubarb cinnamon rolls pack flavor and half the sugar as other varieties. If you wanted to create a variation even lower in sugar you could opt out of the icing altogether and still have a perfect cinnamon roll!
If you’re looksing for the perfect modern vegan cinnamon roll recipe that packs less sugar..
You have to try my recipe for vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Cinnamon Rolls!
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for entertaining!
Perfect summer cinnamon rolls!
Can be served without the icing for less sugar!
45 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 2 and ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package instant yeast (1 packet = 2 and ¼ teaspoons)
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tbsp vegan Follow Your Heart Egg powder mixed with 1/2 cup almond milk
- Strawberry Rhubarb:
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 cup rhubarb
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- 1/2 squeeze lemon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To Make dough: In a large bowl, mix the flour, the sugar, salt, and yeast together until evenly dispersed. Set aside. In a small microwavable bowl, heat the water, almond milk, and vegan butter together in the microwave until the butter is melted (about 30-45 seconds). Stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture. Add the vegan egg mixture and knead with hand or with stand mixer for 3-4 minutes or until the dough is no longer sticky. Place in a lightly greased bowl and let rest for about 5 minutes.Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and turn off after 10 minutes or just before placing rolls in oven for 30 minutes until doubled in size.
- To Make Filling: Place the chopped strawberry/rhubarb along with the sugar and cinnamon in a pan over medium at for 7-10 minutes until soft. Combine the arrowroot with lemon and add to the mixture. Stir to combine and remove any clumps of the arrowroot. Set aside. After the dough has rested for 5 minutes, roll it out in a 15x9 inch rectangle. Spread the strawberry rhubarb mixture on the dough.Roll up the dough tightly and cut into 9 (large) even piece. Place in a lightly greased 9-inch or square pan (or cut into 12 small pieces and place in a 9x13 pan) and lightly cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and turn off. Place the rolls in the oven to rise for 20 minutes. Keep the buns in the oven (REMOVE THE FOIL OR PLASTIC) and turn on the oven to 375F. Bake the cinnamon rolls for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and top with glaze.
- To make glaze: Mix the powdered sugar, vanilla and 2 Tablespoons almond milk together until smooth and lump free. Drizzle over warm rolls.