Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Skillet Cake
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #DairyFree4All #CollectiveBias
Hello & Happy Tuesday!
I wish there was something that I loved more than strawberry and rhubarb, but there just simply isn’t! (well perhaps basil and blueberries)
Another concept I love to embrace is using a cast iron skillet. I find that it makes recipe more effortless and simulatenouly adds more flavor. Whether you’re baking a cake or a cookie it speeds up the process and cooks things just right!
So the idea of making a vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Skillet Cake topped with my favorite So Delicious Dairy Free® classic Vanilla frozen treats was a no brainer!
What I love about this dessert is the simplicity in the ingredients, low sugar, flavor, how quick it can be made, how filling it is, presentation, and how I could literally enjoy this dessert any time of the year no matter what the season!
What also works like perfection in this recipe is the vegan So Delicious Dairy Free® Almond Milk Vanilla frozen treats. Its non GMO, packs flavor, transparent ingredients, and holds up without melting in the summer heat compared to other vegan options!
If you’re looking for a fun festive summer dessert that embraces seasonal ingredients..
You have to try my recipes for a vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Skillet Cake with So Delicious Dairy Free® Almond MilkVanilla frozen treats and homemade coco whip!
(I purchased my So Delicious Dairy Free® frozen treats from Walmart. They have the widest selection by far!)
Why this recipe rocks:
Great for entertaining!
Removed from skillet and well wrapped in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.
Yields 8 slices
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 cup sliced rhubarb (from about 3 stalks)
- 2 cups hulled and quartered strawberries
- 2 tablespoons vegan Earth Balance butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil (liquid) - can use butter if preferred
- zest of one lemon
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons Better Body Foods coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 vegan Follow Your Heart eggs
- 1¼ cups almond milk (room temp)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 can coconut
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Rhubarb Strawberry Mixture
- So Delicious Almond Milk Vanilla frozen treats
- Preheat oven to 350 and move a rack to the center position. Combine strawberries, rhubarb, 2 tablespoons vegan butter, 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, and pinch of salt in a large pan. Place over a medium high flame and cook, stirring frequently, until fruit is soft and coming apart and juices have reduced to a thick syrup, about 10 to 15 minutes. Don't overcook or let juices burn. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and coconut sugar. Set aside.
- In a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together room temp almond milk, lemon juice, vegan egg powder, vanilla and coconut oil. (can use butter if you prefer). Mix wet into dry and stir with a silicone spatula just until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl until there are no dry pockets of flour. Do not over mix.
- Melt vegan butter in skillet coating evenly the entire skillet. Add lemon zest to cooling butter and stir to combine. Pour batter into the prepared skillet and spread (or shake) smooth. Dot the batter with strawberry rhubarb mixture using more of the solid portions with some of the fruit and sprinkle the top generously with coconut sugar. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. (mine took a while to cook thru the middle) Allow cake to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- While cake cools whip up the coco whip. With a fork or in the bowl of a standing mixer add the solid coconut only to the bowl along with the sugar and vanilla, whip until smooth, place in fridge until serving. Top skillet cake with So Delicious frozen treats, strawberry rhubarb mixture and coco whip!
*If you don't have a FYH vegan egg, make a flax egg, mashed banana or apple sauce!
*Removed from skillet and well wrapped in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.