Vegan Sweet Potato Walnut Skillet Brownie
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
Lately I’ve rreen thinking about all these recipe concepts I’ve been postponing. Like you and probably thousands of others, I see these ideas, but then just like that I’m onto another idea and its forgotten.
The sweet potato brownie concept was one of them. Roughly two years ago, sweet potatoes were gaining more momentum of being used in sweet and savory dishes. While I explored some savory concepts, I never took the time to see how they work with sweet dishes. Being that they organically have a sweet flavor profile, they work seamlessly with desserts!
What’s better than the fact that they add a hint of natural sweetness?! They add tons of moisture to whatever you’re baking!
I was going to venture out and just do a plain ol’ sweet potato brownie, but sticking to the everyday is just not my strategy..
and the vegan Triple Chocolate Sweet Potato Walnut Skillet Brownie with Date Caramel was born!
What I love about this recipe is, everything. It’s easy, has the majority of sugar derived from natural components, rich chocolate flavor, aesthetic appeal, date caramel that can be used for a variety of recipes, has a buttery soft texture and will appeal to even the typical carnivore!
If you love skillet or sweet potato concepts, or recipes that will just tock your tastebuds. You ned to try this recipe for a vegan Triple Chocolate Sweet Potato Walnut Skillet Brownie!
Why this recipe rocks:
Non vegan approved
Great for entertaining
Caramel can be used for other dishes
Eat Drink Shrink
Serves Serves 2-4
25 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup Lily's vegan chocolate chips devided between batter and topping the brownie
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup almond butter or peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts (crushed) (save some for the top)
- 6 dates
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Date caramel: Add soft pitted dates to a food processor with the rest of the ingredients, pulse until smooth. Add additional coconut milk to modify the consistency.
- Brownie: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and coat a skillet with coconut oil. Heat your almond butter or peanut butter in the microwave for 15 seconds for a more pliable texture, then whisk it together with the sweet potato and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir together all the dry ingredients (minus nuts and chocolate) and combine. Pour dry into wet and fold in the chocolate chips and crushed walnuts. Distribute the batter into the greased skillet and smooth out the top. Top with additional walnuts and chocolate chips. Bake on the center oven rack 20 minutes, let cool for 10 and serve with salted caramel and vegan vanilla ice cream.