Vegan Apple Cinnamon Rolls with cream cheese icing
Hello & Happy Thursday !!
If there is one fruit that fall is ubiquitous for, it’s apples! They come in a myriad of varieties, but there are actually just two that are my personal faves, Pink Lady and Granny Smith!
There is something about the more tart varieties that I just gravitate towards. That being said, if any recipe calls for apples, I always use them.
While I love the traditional cinnamon roll, I love even more to put a fun twist on them whether it be the filling or the topping. (my personal fave, Strawberry Rhubarb!) So these vegan Apple Cinnamon Rolls were a no brainer!
What I enjoy most about this recipe is the minimal ingredients, effort, affordability, seasonality of the apples, aesthetic appeal, cream cheese icing, they are great for entertaining for brunch, non vegan approve and can easily be made in bulk!
If you’re searching for that perf fall brunch concept, you need my recipe for vegan Apple Cinnamon Rolls with cream cheese icing!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made in bulk
Perf for a fall brunch
Non vegan approved
Cream cheese icing
Eat Drink Shrink
45 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- ¾ cup almond milk, warmed
- 1 tbsp yeast (1 pack)
- ¼ cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 cups flour (bread flour ideal)
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- Topping, 1/3 cup derma sugar and additional butter
- 2/3+ cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 6 apples, peeled, cored, diced
- 2/3 cup vegan Follow Your Heart cream cheese
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- 1 tbsp almond milk (as needed)
- Preheat the oven to 250. Dissolve your yeast in your warmed almond milk and sugar in a large bowl for about 3 minutes.
- Add in your vegan butter, coconut sugar, salt, and cinnamon into your milk. combine. Gradually add flour mixing between each pour. Mix everything together.
- When the dough starts to pull from the edges, knead for 5 minutes until a large ball is formed.
- Remove your dough ball from the bowl and drizzle oil in the bowl to prevent it from sticking. Put your dough back into the bowl and cover your bowl with a towel or plastic wrap. Turn off oven and leave it to rise in there for at last 45 minutes until it doubles in size.
- While dough is rising, make the filling. Heat 4 tablespoons of the vegan butter and coconut sugar in a large skillet, then add the apples. Sauté until apples are slightly caramelized. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Lightly flour your counter top and roll your dough into a rectangle, about ¼ inch thick and about 16x22.
- Coat your dough with your melted butter, then cinnamon, then the apple mix covering it fully minus an inch from the edge. Roll your dough from the top edge to the bottom edge. Carefully cut your roll into 1 inch slices for small cinnamon rolls and 2 inch for large, and place them in a lightly greased baking pan or my preference a muffin ten. Brush with additional butter and derma sugar. (optional) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Throw the rolls in. As the temperature increases it allows the rolls to continue to rise.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400 for 14-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While they are baking combine your ingredients for the frosting. Add a little more powdered sugar or a little more milk if you need to change the consistency of your frosting.
- Remove the rolls from the oven when their done and allow them to cool for a few minutes before applying the frosting generously.