Vegan Apple Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing
Hello & Happy Saturday !!
Weekends call for fun recipes, and I’m all about the cinnamon rolls!! The options are endless, they are perfect for any season, or any reason for that matter! When it comes to fall or winter, I’m always craving anything pumpkin, but also apples!! When I was a raw vegan I ate a pink lady apple just about every day. I love the crispness of that variety, but my favorite to cook with is always granny smith!! They offer a more tart flavor profile, which is more my preference versus traditional red apples. As much as I use apples in recipes and social media is saturated with apple picking pictures, ironically I have STILL yet to go! Something tells me that fall 2019, we’re finally going to make the trek to do some apple picking. (stay tuned)
Just like have a preference for apple varieties, I also have a preference for cinnamon rolls today. I love them to be big, light, and fluffy !!
I’ve found the traditional cinnamon rolls featuring 1 packet of yeast to be somewhat disappointing. They just don’t provide the same experience. After exploring variations with 2 packets, I was immediately hooked. When it comes to flavoring anything, I love to put a modern spin on everything. However, you have to pay homage to the staple flavors, like the classic apple cinnamon!!
What’s fab about this recipe, is everything! It features minimal staple ingredients, faster than typical recipes, affordable, packed with apples, light, fluffy, topped with cream cheese icing, are perf for entertaining for brunch, and can easily be made in bulk!
If you’re searching for that perf holiday brunch concept, you need my recipe for vegan Apple Cinnamon Rolls with cream cheese icing!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made in bulk
Perf for a fall brunch
Non vegan approved
Cream cheese icing
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 6-12 depending on size
1 hrPrep Time
25 minCook Time
1 hr, 25 Total Time
- 2 packages active dry yeast (4 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, to proof the yeast
- 6 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup warm water or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 4 large apples, chopped Granny Smith, peel, diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2tbsp Softened vegan butter
- 1/2 cup Coconut sugar or brown sugar
- Cinnamon (about 2 tablespoons total)
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 4 ounces vegan Follow Your Heart cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Once it reaches the temp. Turn off oven. Combine the 2 packets yeast, warm water and 1 tsp sugar in a medium size bowl. Allow the yeast to activate for 5-7 minutes.
- Combine 3 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt in a large bowl, stir until blended. Combine the vegan butter and almond milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH in 15 second increments until very warm but not hot to the touch. Add the yeast and melted butter mix to the flour and combine.
- Combine with your hands (or you can throw in a standing mixer with the hook) As you form the dough add the additional cup of flour gradually and incorporate more as needed to form into a ball.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic and dough springs back when lightly pressed with 2 fingers, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover with a towel, and place a greased bowl in the oven. Allow to rise for 20 minutes or longer until doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising, make the apple filling. In a large skillet, melt the vegan butter over medium heat. Add the peeled and chopped apples, coconut sugar or brown sugar, and cinnamon. Stir so the apples are coated in the butter and brown sugar. Cook until slightly soft, but not mushy, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove dough from greased bowl and place on a lightly floured counter. Roll dough into a 15 x 12-inch rectangle using a rolling pin. Spread 3 tablespoons vegan butter over dough stopping at least 1/2-inch from the edges on the long sides. Spread the apples across the dough and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Beginning at the long end of the rectangle, roll up tightly. Pinch seams to seal. Cut into 6-12 equal pieces. Place, cut sides down, in greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Cover with towel; let rise back in the turned off oven until doubled in size, about 40 minutes.
- Remove the buns and preheat the oven to 350ºF and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until rolls are golden brown. If the tops start to brown too much when baking, simply cover with aluminum foil and continue to bake. Cool on wire rack for at least 20 minutes. You can also cover for half the baking time and remove midway.
- Combine all frosting ingredients in the bowl of a standing mixer or by hand, adding just enough almond milk until frosting is creamy. Spread over rolls & serve!
If you want to make the cinnamon rolls in advance, you can refrigerate them overnight and bake in the morning. After you put the rolls in the pan, cover with plastic wrap and put the pans in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, pull the rolls out and let them come to room temperature and rise a little. Bake and enjoy!