Homemade Vegan Apple Pie
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
If there is one dessert I’m forever enamored with, it’s Apple Pie. It’s nostalgic, packed with apples and the majority of the sugar can be derived from the fruit. I think a homemade apple pie was one of the first connects I tried ages ago while entertaining guests. I of course tried to go all out with a whole wheat crust and it was just was too rustic and dry.
Sometimes when creating staple items, you have to go with ingredients that work, and a whole wheat crust just didn’t for me lol.
Although from a distance making a homemade pie sounds long and drawn out, it’s actually super easy! You don’t have to have a black belt in decorating pies, I sure don’t lol. You simply throw a few ingredients together, form a dough, chill, roll it out, pack with apples, cover and bake!
To prove that a pie doesn’t have to be perfect, I started to make a heart on mine, then removed it, but you can still see the outline, at the end of the day who cares, a less perfect pie is still a good pie! (also, video clips were lost, the lighting was off on the video, but the pie.. perfection! #Mondays)
While many opt for butter with creating pie crusts, I actually love to use coconut oil. What’s ideal about coconut oil is it packs healthy fats, no palm oil or preservatives etc and serves as a binder for the dough just like butter. In terms of creating flavor however, you want to limit the coconut oil you use in a recipe, as you may cross the threshold of “too much” and then your recipe will take on a coconut flavor profile.
What’s fab about this recipe, is everything! It’s a handful of staple kitchen ingredients, packed with apples, can easily be made in bulk, pie crust can be chilled and saved for later use or other recipes, is non vegan approved, and an all around game changer!
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 8 slices
30 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1tbsp vegan butter (outside, optional)
- Additional derma sugar (optional)
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (more as necessary) coconut oil, cool enough to be solid
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbs coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3-5 Tbsp ice water
- Crust: Combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, and coconut sugar in the bowl. Add your solid coconut oil and with your hand combine until mixture is crumbly and will stick together when you squeeze it. Add the water 1 tbsp at a time, or until the dough holds together well when you make a handful of it and form a disc. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Apples: In a small bowl, combine the coconut sugar, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss sliced/peeled apples with lemon juice. Add sugar/flour/spice mixture; toss to coat. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; press into dish, trim pastry even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with vegan butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling.
- Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Melt vegan butter; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with derma sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.