Vegan Cherry and Pistachio Danish
Hello & Happy Friday!!
Lately I’ve been enamored with breakfast concepts! I rarely indulge in them as my breakfast consists of avocados, juice, smoothies etc…
But sometimes its nice to break the mold and indulge, especially while entertaining!
I recently discovered that frozen pastry dough is vegan. While it’s not my typical routine to feature a packaged product in recipes (I prefer not to keep price point of recipes down and as much made from scratch w/out giving someone a migraine lol), but making pastry dough is even a non vegan nightmare..
So to have an accessible affordable product at your fingertips, I just couldn’t pass it up..and my obsession for vegan danishes was born lol
What I love about this recipe is, everything! It’s easy, cheesy, affordable, packed with cherries, almond extract in the cream cheese pairs perf, the addition of pistachios puts it over the top, can be paired with any fruit, and fun to make!!
If you’re looking for the perfect addition to your vegan brunch..
You need my recipe for a vegan Cherry & Pistachio Cream Cheese Danish!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perf for any season
Has aesthetic appeal
Will make you look like a brunch boss
Yields 8 to 10 slices
20 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- frozen vegan pastry dough
- 8oz Follow Your Heart vegan cream cheese, cold
- 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup lemon juice or water
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 3 cup cherries, pitted, chopped
- optional: 1/4 cup crushed pistachios
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (0ptional)
- 2 Tablespoon almond milk
- Let the pastry dough thaw out
- Make the filling: in a medium bowl of a standing mixer (or by hand if soft) beat the vegan cream cheese, powered sugar, and almond extract on medium speed until smooth. Place back in fridge to set. If consistency remains runny, you can sift in corn starch to thicken, place back in fridge. If still runny you can combine w/firm tofu in a food processor.
- Cherries: In a medium sauce pan, combine all the cherry sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Open thawed puff pastry sheets on a flat working that has been sprinkled lightly with flour surface.
- Roll dough to make the square even. You aren't rolling to hard though, just lightly enough that you can get all the sides even. The dough will still look like a trifold with creases.
- With kitchen scissors, or a pizza cutter, make 9 even slits on both sides of the puff pastry, leaving the middle third of the 'trifold' untouched. BE CAREFUL NOT TO GO PAST THE FOLD LINES.
- Add the vegan cream cheese filling and carefully spread down the center of the pastry sheet.Next carefully spoon some of the cherry sauce over the vegan cream cheese layer. Repeat for both layers.
- Next starting at the top of the pasty fold the flaps diagonally and alternately over the raspberry layer. When you get to the end, tuck the ends under the pastry sheet. Place on cookie sheet line with parchment.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes.
- As the pastry is baking, prepare the glaze by whisking all of the ingredients together. After 10 minutes of cooling, drizzle the braids lightly with glaze and serve immediately.