Vegan Whole Wheat Gingerbread Blondies
15 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 cup vegan butter (you can use coconut oil, will take on that flavor tho!)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tbsp vegan egg powder, combined with 1/3 cup almond milk or vegan eggnog
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces vegan butter
- 1 ounce Follow Your Heart vegan cream cheese
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons eggnog or almond milk
- nutmeg for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 8-inch cake pan (or quarter sheet pan) with baking spray. Cut a length of parchment paper long enough to line the bottom of the pan with extra hanging over two of the sides. Press a crease in the parchment at the edges, so it fits snugly into the bottom. Set pan aside.
- Melt the vegan butter in a medium size pot over medium heat. Continue cooking for about 4-6 minutes till butter is foaming and turns a medium golden brown. Swirl the pan frequently and watch carefully as butter can quickly go from golden to burned. Don't let it go past medium brown as it will continue to darken a bit more when you take it off of the burner.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then add coconut sugar or brown sugar and stir well. Add the vegan eggs and stir till fully incorporated. Add vanilla and molasses and stir well.
- Add whole what flour, baking powder and spices and salt to a bowl, combine. Stir until all flour has disappeared. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly .
- Bake 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with clean or with just a few moist crumbs. Cool completely before icing.
- For the icing, whip the vegan butter and vegan cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer until soft and fluffy, about 1 minute. I like to use the whisk attachment for my mixer.
- Reduce speed to low and slowly add the powdered sugar. Once the powdered sugar is incorporated, add vanilla and 2 tablespoons vegan eggnog or almond milk. Beat for 3 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally. You may need to add more liquid if icing is too thick. Add a teaspoonful at a time until desired consistency is reach. You want a creamy and spreadable consistency.
- Spread icing over cooled blondies. Sprinkle with nutmeg for garnish, if desired. Allow icing to set for at least one hour. I like to place the whole pan in the refrigerator for about an hour before cutting. You can also cut the edges prior to frosting.
- Cut blondies into 2-inch squares. Yields 16 bars if made in an 8x8-inch pan.
If the brownie batter seems dry, add a drizzle of almond milk 1tbsp at a time or ideally more butter.