Vegan Gluten Free Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
In all my years, I was never a biscotti person. I’d see it at starbucks at the checkout and I just never had the urge to try one. If I opt for coffee, it’s a sugar free option and I never need to reach for something sweet in additional. (I know, boring lol)
While going through my foodie bucket list, it occured to me that biscotti was one of those lingering recipes I had yet to explore. Long before my cooking days while finishing undergrad, a friend made it in front of me. I remember it being so easy that we were drinking wine and talking while she whipped up a batch simultaneously.
That being said, I had to finally make vegan biscotti!
What I love about biscotti, is that it’s not a cookie and not a cracker, but crisp! You can pack it with whatever you like, pair it with coffee, dip it in chocolate, or simply enjoy it by itself and it’s still good!
What I love about this particular recipe, is that again, it’s so easy! This recipe calls for almond flour versus white flour, coconut oil versus butter, coconut sugar versus white sugar, minimal sugar altogether, is packed to the max with pistachios and cranberries, and non vegan approved!
If you love classic recipes turned vegan that taste just as good as the real deal, then you have to try my recipe for vegan Cranberry & Pistachio Biscotti!
Why this recipe rocks:
No white flour
No white sugar
Non vegan approved
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 10-12 pieces
15 minPrep Time
1 hr, 30 Cook Time
1 hr, 45 Total Time
- 12 tbsp coconut oil (room temp)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp Follow Your Heart vegan egg powder w/ 1/2 cup almond milk (room temp)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups almond flour
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup whole dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the coconut oil, and coconut sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low, add the vegan eggs with almond milk, vanilla, and orange zest, and mix until combined, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry mixture to the coconut-sugar mixture, mixing only until combined. Scrape down the bowl and beater and make sure all the ingredients are combined. Stir in the pistachios and cherries.
- Roll the dough into a ball on a well-floured board and cut in half. With floured hands, roll each piece into a cylinder about 11 inches long by 2 inches in diameter and place them 3 inches apart on the prepared sheet pan.
- Sprinkle the log with 2 tbsp of turbinado sugar. Bake for 45 minutes, until lightly browned (the logs will be soft). Cool for 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 275 degrees F. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper. With a serrated knife, slice the biscotti 1/2 inch thick at a full 45-degree angle. Place the slices cut-side up on the prepared sheet pans. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, turning each slice once, until browned and fully baked. Transfer to a baking rack to cool. If you're craving something extra indulgent, dip in dark chocolate!