Vegan Lemon Blueberry Basil Sugar Cookies
Hello & Happy Monday!!
If there is one kind of cookie that’s my cup of tea..
It’s SOFT BAKED!!
I’m not sure if it’s because store bought were always hard or that my mom always burned them (true story, she claimed it was a preference lol), but I always liked mine light and fluffy.
Fast forward to today, although I never buy cookies, the ones I miss are those light fluffy cookies with the icing. You wouldn’t ever catch me eating one, but I was on a mission to recreate that same texture and use the foundation of this recipe for many variations.
In addition to being enamored with soft cookies, I love combine citrus into anything and you throw in some fresh herbs and I’m your girl lol. For some the incorporation of herbs can be off-putting, but I’m telling you..
It adds another dimension of flavor that just can’t be matched!
I love this recipe as it’s effortless, sweet but not overly, incorporate fresh fruit, citrus, and herbs, has aesthetic appeal, perf for anytime of the year, can be made into sammies with icing in the middle, and of course are sans dairy or eggs!
If you love classic soft bake cookies you have to try my recipe for vegan Lemon Blueberry & Basil Cookies!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Uses coconut oil instead of butter
Made with basil and fresh fruit
Made in minutes
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 8-10 cookies
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk, room temperature (I used a walnut milk so the shade of the cookies were a smudge less white)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 tbsp or more of fresh cut basil
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour blend, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In bowl of stand mixer, beat together powdered sugar, melted coconut oil, almond milk, lemon extract, lemon zest, vanilla until creamy. Add flour mixture in portion and and continue to mix until combined. Dough will thicken as you stir. Fold in the thinly sliced basil and blueberries.
- Roll 2-tablespoon size scoops of dough into balls and place onto prepared baking sheet. Flatten slightly with fingers to 1/2-inch thick. Bake cookies for 8-12 minutes. Do not over bake, as cookies won't turn golden brown. Remove cookies from oven and place on cooling rack to cool completely.