Vegan Citrus Pizelles with Coconut Lime Whip
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
If you had asked me a few months ago what a pizelle was, I would have had absolutely no clue. Although we’ve all seen them before at the market, I simply never registered the name nor am I sure if I had ever had one.
While pizelles are more associated with the Christmas season, you can absolutely enjoy them any time of the year and come to find out, they are super easy to make! A gf of mine had a pizelle maker and we decided to give a vegan batch a go and they came out perfect!
This recipe was developed while keeping the gorgeous spring weather that’s coming in mind! When cold temperatures finally come to a close, I instantly start craving lighter foods in every capacity, even desserts! So this vegan Citrus Pizelles with a lime whip was a no brainer.
What I love about this recipe is the simplicity in the ingredients, how fast it can be made, how gorgeous and delicate the pizelles look, and how you can pair these fab cookies with whatever you like! I would describe them as similar to a sugar cookie yet kind of like a waffle
If you love effortless desserts that make you look like a complete iron chef, you have to try my recipe for vegan Citrus Pizelles with coconut lime whip!
Why this recipe rocks:
can be made in bulk
Perfect for entertaining
Non vegan approved
Can modify the add ons to make whatever type of pizelle you’re craving!
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- ¼ cup vegan earth balance butter (4 tablespoons) melted and cooled slightly
- 1 tbs Follow Your Heart vegan egg combined with 1/3 cup almond milk, 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- dash of salt
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 can of solid coconut cream or 2 cans of traditional (solid portion only)
- Melt the butter and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, vigorously whisk together the vegan egg with almond milk and lemon juice. Combine with sugar until blended and smooth. Add the vanilla, lemon zest, and melted butter and whisk until combined.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sift together over the large mixing bowl containing the egg mixture. Fold the ingredients together with a spatula until combined. Preheat your pizzelle iron to medium-high heat or until a drop of water sizzles on the cooking surface. On my pizzelle iron these did best on about level 4. Scoop the batter into a large zip lock bag or pipping bag. Cut the corner of the bag into a ½" opening.
- Pipe about 1 tablespoon of batter into the center of the iron and cook according to your manufacturer directions. If they are too big for your press, pipe a little less next time. It may take a few tries to get them just right but I have found that centering the batter is the key to a good shape.Remove the hot pizzelles to a wire rack covered with parchment paper to cool. Store at room temperature. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Lime Whip: Take all the ingredients and place in the bowl of a standing mixer. Be sure to add powdered sugar gradually and combine until smooth. (3 mins). To serve place the whip into a dish, garnish with a pizelle and lime zest!