Vegan Pumpkin Cream Cheese Danish
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
If there is one concept I’m forever enamored with, it’s vegan danishes! Within the past few months I discovered that frozen pastry dough is actually… vegan!
While I don’t push any store bought product as I make everything from scratch, I love the idea that I can go to the market and pick up a pack and create effortless sweets such as this Pumpkin cream Cheese Danish!
What’s fab about danishes, is that they sound fancy and involved, but with the help of a ready made pastry dough it’s so easy breezy you could make it while hopping on one foot, instagramming, while doing your taxes.
What I love about this particular danish is, everything! It’s easy, affordable, packs tons of pumpkin flavor, cheesy, topped with candied pecans, great for entertaining, perf for fall and can be made in minutes.
If you love effortless easts and all things pumpkin, then this vegan Pumpkin Cream Cheese is for you!
Why this recipe rocks:
Pumpkin Candied Pecans
Perf for fall
Perf for entertaining
Yields 6-8 slices
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- frozen vegan pastry dough
- Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8oz Follow Your Heart vegan cream cheese, cold
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan egg powder combine with 1/3 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (0ptional)
- 2 Tablespoon almond milk
- Pecans: In a large pan add all of the ingredients minus the pecans. Cook for 2-3 minutes until boiling. Toss in the pecans and cook for an additional 3. Remove from heat and throw onto a sheet to cool for 20 minutes.
- Let the pastry dough thaw out
- Make the filling: in a medium bowl of a standing mixer (or by hand if soft) beat the vegan cream cheese, powered sugar, and almond extract on medium speed until smooth. Place back in fridge to set. If consistency remains runny, you can sift in corn starch to thicken, place back in fridge. If still runny you can combine w/firm tofu in a food processor.
- Pumpkin filling: Combine all the ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Open thawed puff pastry sheets on a flat working that has been sprinkled lightly with flour surface. Roll dough to make the square even. You aren't rolling to hard though, just lightly enough that you can get all the sides even. The dough will still look like a trifold with creases.
- With kitchen scissors, or a pizza cutter, make 9 even slits on both sides of the puff pastry, leaving the middle third of the 'trifold' untouched. BE CAREFUL NOT TO GO PAST THE FOLD LINES.
- Add the vegan cream cheese filling and carefully spread down the center of the pastry sheet.Next carefully spoon some of the pumpkin filling over the vegan cream cheese layer. Repeat for both layers.
- Next starting at the top of the pasty fold the flaps diagonally and alternately over the raspberry layer. When you get to the end, tuck the ends under the pastry sheet. Place on cookie sheet line with parchment.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes.
- As the pastry is baking, prepare the glaze by whisking all of the ingredients together. After 10 minutes of cooling, drizzle the braids lightly with glaze, top with candied pecans and serve immediately.