Vegan S’mores Cookies
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
If I were to be totally honest (alwayyyys), I very rarely get a craving for anything chocolate and even more rarely S’mores, but I truly love the concept of combining multiple flavors and being able to use vegan marshmallows!!
Because lets face it, we all know there is typically only a handful of recipes incorporating marshmallows. (we need to change this!)
So when there is an opportunity to play around with vegan marshmallows, I’m game!
(stay tuned for more concoctions!)
I think its safe to say we ALL saw the non vegan version of this recipe floating around Pinterest years ago and being blown away by this genius idea. Fast forward to 2015, I couldn’t find a “vegan” version, cue the brainstorming..
If you need a recipe that will impress any guest vegan or not and is magical regardless of the time of year..
this Vegan S’mores cookie recipe is the perf idea!
Why I love this recipe:
Requires only a handful of ingredients
Stays fresh for over a week (if you can stop yourself from eating them all lol)
Kids love them
NON VEGAN APPROVED
Even if you’re not a chocolate person (like myself), there is such a blend going on that its not overwhelming, but..
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 2 tbsp dairy alternative (almond milk)
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- ¾ cup hand-crushed graham crackers, NOT fine crumbs
- 10-11 large Dandies marshmallows cut in half
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Create a flax egg by combining the ground flax and milk substitute, combine with fork, set aside for two minutes to thicken
- Cream the butter for a minute or two, then pour in the brown sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add the flax egg.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips and graham cracker pieces.
- Let the dough set in the refrigerator 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll dough into a ball, make an indention with your thumb in the center of the cookie and press a marshmallow in the inside and mold the dough around the marshmallow. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cookies stand for a few minutes then place on the cooling rack.