Vegan Peach & Blueberry Galette
Hello & Happy Monday!
While thinking of the perf summer dessert and having a handful of blueberries and peaches on the verge of expiration, I instantly knew I had to remake one of my recipes from last year..
This gorgeous Peach and Blueberry Galette 🙂
On a personal note I love to remake recipes. It’s a way to not only perfect them, but relive the chapter of your life when you made it. The galette tasted just the same, but aesthetically the crust didn’t look the way I wanted, and the lighting was just off that day and the list goes on. As we all know, aesthetics matter! I’ve seen countless recipes that I know the flavors don’t blend, but the pictures were beautiful and people were drawn to it. It’s safe to say, although I captured these images while talking on the phone to my mom lol (true story), they do this dessert justice because it’s just so effortless and good!!
I love desserts, but I still don’t have a black belt in cake decorating or pies. I find them tedious, involved and just not practical for everyone. That being said, I love the concept of a galette. It’s easy breezy, can be thrown together in a short time, you can omit the sugar all together, you can modify the fruit to cater to the season, top with ice cream, infuse with herbs and the list goes on.
If you love a staple dessert, you have to try this vegan Peach & Blueberry Galette!
* Blueberries contain a plant compound called anthocyanin. This gives blueberries both their blue color and many of their health benefits.
* Studies show that after 6 months of freezing they lose about 59% of their anthocyanin content.
* Blueberries can help heart health, bone strength, skin health, blood pressure, diabetes management, cancer prevention, and mental health.
*A study from 2010 found that it improved cognitive decline in seniors, while one in 2014 found that it can also improve a person’s short-term memory and motor coordination.
Why this recipe rocks:
Perf for any season
Can modify and use whichever fruit you like
Non vegan approved
1 hrPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hr, 30 Total Time
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water or almond milk (add a little at a time)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 peaches, sliced
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 sprigs thyme
- course sugar, for sprinkling
- 2tbsp melted coconut oil or vegan butter
- To make the pie crust, in a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt. Add the coconut oil or vegan butter and combine the ingredients with hands. Add water or almond milk gradually (1tbsp at a time) to achieve a desired consistency. The mixture should be a little on the dry side. As the dough begins to stick together, form a flat disk, wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour or overnight. If the dough is too wet dust with flour. Too dry? Add more water.
- Add the fruit to a large bowl. Top with can sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest, lemon juice and corn starch. Roll out dough onto a flowered surface. Using a large bowl or free hand cut a circle. Use the scraps and add them to the middle, roll out the circle again. It doesn’t need to be exact or even. Move the dough to the baking pan and begin to fold the edges of the galette. Once complete being to spoon the fruit mixture into the center and fold the dough up and over the filling even more. Brush the edges of dough with the melted coconut oil or butter and sprinkle with the sanding sugar.
- reheat oven to 400. Place the galette on the prepared pan and bake until crust is golden and the filling is bubbling, about 25-35 minutes, rotating the sheet pans halfway through.Serve warm or at room temperature. Top with vegan ice cream or coconut whip and garnish with fresh thyme.